The word biokinetics comes from two Greek words BIOS which means LIFE and KINESIS which means MOVEMENT. It is the profession concerned with …
IMPROVING QUALITY OF LIFE TRHOUGH MOVEMENT
Biokineticists function within professional alliance to health and medicine, and is recognised by and registered with the Health Professions Council of South Africa. Biokinetics primary function is to improve physical functioning and quality of life through exercise as modality.
Biokinetics is the profession concerned with health promotion, the maintenance of physical abilities and final phase rehabilitation. The Biokineticist therefore prescribes scientifically-based preventative and therapeutic exercises to address various orthopaedic problems, chronic conditions and other lifestyle related diseases.
BIOKINETICISTS ARE CLINICAL EXERCISE AND MOVEMENT SPECIALISTS WHO ADDRESS THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS:
WELLNESS – PHYSICAL HEALTH PROMOTION AND PREVENTATIVE TREATMENT
The assessment of health risk factors and implementation of intervention strategies to improve personal and employee wellness. Health promotion creates a culture of healthy lifestyle changes in both the individual and the company.
Clinical Assessment and prescription of appropriate exercise programmes
Prevention and management of conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, osteoporosis hypertension, Parkinson’s, respiratory disorders, obesity and muscular dystrophy, Cardiac and stroke rehabilitation.
Sport specific testing and conditioning of sports men and woman to improve endurance, speed, flexibility, agility, power, strength and reaction times.
Prescribing Injury prevention programs for individuals – pro-habilitation. Clinical assessment and prescription of Functional exercise programs in context with the clinical pathologies(acute and chronic) for the rehabilitation of the neck, back, shoulder, hip, knee and ankle injuries and Pre and post operative rehabilitation. Musculoskeletal rehabilitation for Neurological conditions.
SPECIAL POPULATIONS AND-PHYSICAL ABILITY ASSESSMENT
Assessment and prescriptions of safe exercise programs for Children, Pre and post natal, pregnant women and for the Elderly and workforce in general.
At BIOLife Health we provide the following services:
Biokinetic evaluation and exercise prescriptions:
• Orthopaedic rehabilitation for neck, shoulder, back, hip, knee and ankle problems
• Lifestyle programs for chronic and metabolic conditions like high cholesterol and hypertension, obesity, osteoporosis, diabetes etc
• Special populations including senior fitness, pre and post- natal classes and children
• Posture correction
• Weight loss and lifestyle programs
• Sport performance enhancement including golf, cycling and running programs
One-on-one rehabilitation or training sessions:
• To ensure proper execution of exercises
• To gain confidence to ultimately exercise on your own
• Motivation and support to persevere
Group rehabilitation sessions
• Clinical Pilates: Only mat classes in smaller groups presented by biokineticists
• Buddie-rehab: train with other people in small groups to ensure success and add a fun-aspect to your rehab
specific time allocated to biokinetic clients in the gymnasium where there will be a biokineticist available for guidance and supervision
Group education and training sessions aimed at specific orthopedic problems like chronic low back pain and pre - and post- replacement surgeries and senior fitness
linked to national and international health themes.
• Weight loss
• Pre- and postnatal exercise
• Postural correction
• Cardiac risk factors
Wellness programs developed for companies and schools
• Comprehensive wellness programs
- Heart health
- Quality of life.
• Risk identification and education.
• Workshops: Back-to-basics; Heart-a-chat; Office trim
• Health talks, weeks and fun events
The biokinetic practices of Dr Susan Combrink and Hannes Dreeckmeier Biokinetic Practice are contracted out: clients are responsible to settle their own account and then claim back from their medical aid.
• Medical Aid Suggested Tariffs are charged for all consultations and individual rehabilitation sessions.
• Group classes are only partly covered by medical aid.
Physical evaluation and program prescription (orthopaedic and chronic conditions)
• Basic consultation – R 555
• Program and first training session - R490
• One-on-one sessions – R385 per session
• Additional evaluations (if necessary) – Medical aid rates apply
• Medical Aid Fitness Evaluations
o Discovery: R400
o Momentum Multiply: R190
Group training sessions will be charged at reduced rates depending on the number of days you will be training per week.
We offer special senior fitness classes.